http://teahabs.blogspot.co.uk/ about home Image Map

new

new

Wednesday 1 May 2013

DIY// Kumihimo Bracelet


I recently bought a Kumihimo disk, and since then it's gone everywhere with me. I had been wanting to try this style of braiding out for such a long time, so when I saw Vina sold them in my local bead shop I couldn't resist. Once you get going it's so quick and easy, I've become a bit obsessed... So I hope you like this tutorial, because there'll be more!

 You'll need: 
  • Kumihimo Disk (alternatively cut 32 slits into a circle of foam/thick cardboard)
  • 4 x 1 metre cotton cord/embroidery threads
  • Bell closer cord end, extension chain and clasp. Mine come all in one, but if you need help attaching these see How to attach clasps one and two
  • Metal tubing and a tube cutter. I got these from my local DIY hardware store.


 Instructions: 

To make the braid:
  1. Fold you 4 cords in half, and tie a separate piece of string around the middle bringing all 4 together. Thread the middle through the hole in your Kumihimo disk and slot 2 cords at the top, 2 at each side and 2 at the bottom.
  2. Move the top left hand cord to the slot to the left of the bottom left hand cord.
  3. Move the bottom right hand cord to the slot to the right of the remaining top cord.
  4. Rotate the disk 90 degrees anti clockwise and bring the top left hand cord to the slot to the left of the bottom left hand cord. (As you did in step one)
  5. Move the bottom right hand cord to the slot to the right of the remaining top cord.
  6. Rotate the disk another 90 degrees anti clockwise and bring the top left hand cord to the slot to the left of the bottom left hand cord. (As you did in step 1 and 4.) Your disk should be upside down now.
  7. Move the bottom right hand cord to the slot to the right of the remaining top cord.
  8. Rotate the disk 90 degrees anti clockwise again and bring the top left hand cord to the slot to the left of the bottom left hand cord. (As you did in step 1,4 and 6.)
  9. Move the bottom right hand cord to the slot to the right of the remaining top cord.
Continue to turn the disk and move the cords around the board until you run out of cord.

To make the bracelet:

    10. Take the cord off the disk and run your fingers down to stretch the braid out.
    11. Measure the length you need and tie embroidery thread around the braid several times to
          seal the end. Trim off the excess
    12. Cut a 4cm/1.5" piece of pipe following the instruction provided with your pipe cutter.
          (Alternatively you could use the softer "fake piping" which you can cut with scissors) Thread
           this onto your braids.
    13. Glue all of your cords into a large bell closer cord end and leave to dry.

And there you have it. I always wonder if people make the jewellery DIYs I post. I'd love to see pictures of this tutorial and any others you have made! Email f.stone.teahab@gmail.com if you can. Fran x










6 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I am quite literally expecting a kumihimo kit in the mail TODAY! I've been so excited to try it and love the direction you went with it. It came out fantastically well, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison!They're brilliant-I want a square one as well now. I'll be checking on dream a little bigger to see what you make with yours. x

      Delete
  2. wow this is awesome!!! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I am a beginner in kumihimo and did it awhile ago. I was so proud with the gift I made for my friend: http://www.causehumbug.com/2011/kumihimo-summer-bracelet/
    Then I did nothing for a long time, but now your tutorial was like a little push and motivation. I am just thinking what kind of kumi bracelet can I create for this summer. Thank you very much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kumihimo is such a beautiful art to learn, isn't it? You can create a variety of handmade jewelry with the free range of colors and materials you are allowed to use. This can be a fun and easy source of personalized gifts, or of income if you must. Paracord For You

    ReplyDelete





Pin It button on image hover